Gluten Free Oreo Recipe
A simple, non-nonsense gluten free Oreo recipe. Takes 1 hour. Makes around 20 biscuits.
For the cookie
1 and 1/2 cups of gluten free flour
1 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoons of baking soda
220 grams of butter (softened)
50mls of milk
1/4 teaspoons of vanilla extract
For the filling
50 grams butter (softened)
1 cup of icing sugar
1) Combine all the dry ingredients - gluten free flour, cocoa powder, sugar, salt, baking soda - together in a large bowl
2) Add soften butter, milk, and vanilla extract to the dry mixture. Combine by hand until a soft and slightly sticky dough has formed.
3) Wrap the dough in glad wrap and place in the fridge for 15 minutes.
4) While the dough is cooling, heat the oven up to 200° celsius. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
5) Once dough is chilled, place between 2 sheets of baking paper and roll out using a rolling pin until about 1cm thick. Using a round cookie cutter, cut as many shapes as you can fix and transfer to lined baking tray. (NB. It's best to work quickly as the dough get stickier as it warms up. If dough becomes too sticky - pop back in the fridge to cool down).
6) Bake the cookies for 10-15 minutes. Keep an eye on them as they are thin and can burn easily. Keep spare dough in the fridge until ready to roll out for the next batch.
7) Once the cookies are done, leave them to cool completely.
8) While the cookies are cooling, make the filling by combining the softened butter and icing sugar. Use a place of water to create a play doh like consistency.
9) Ice the cooled cookies and sandwich together. Enjoy!